As the pandemic continues, stay-at-home orders for several countries remain, and others begin to open back up, our work in each base is looking different every week. However, we are blessed to continue finding ways to serve God in the communities to bring light and hope. Today’s story comes from Santiago, Dominican Republic!
Our Education Site leader, Sheila, writes about the strides that the site has made during the pandemic. She also shares how they have adjusted their operations to fit the current circumstances best and how God is continuing to change lives and provide:
This pandemic has affected our daily routine as a ministry. We’ve had to come up with new ideas and ways of ministering to the community and the kids that we work with. Although it can be difficult at times, we’ve seen God work, provide for, and support us. Since day one, He has been moving in each kid and their families in so many ways. To mention a few things that we experienced before the quarantine:
- The kids were so happy and in love with their school that they cried when they had to leave.
- Kids that showed to have behavioral problems in their first week of class, two weeks later, their parents and I wouldn’t even recognize said behaviors. They were showing respect and kindness to each other as well as love towards their teacher.
- Their parents and families were happy and showing interest in their kid’s progress, more than I could ever imagine.
- Families that had no food to give to their children were being blessed by the daily breakfast we were providing.
- Most importantly, they all feel loved, special, and accepted just the way they are, and I know that is the grace of our heavenly Father in us and through us.
As an Early Childhood Development Center, we focus on working with the kids in four areas: spiritual, physical, emotional, and educational. With the coronavirus crisis and the uncertainty that we are facing, we’ve been praying to God to show us the next step and to give us the wisdom to keep preaching, educating, and guiding our beautiful kids even from a distance.
- We are continuing to provide tutoring to the kids through an online Parent-Teacher group, where we post homework and practices that parents who have access to Internet can do with their kids.
- We are sharing online devotionals with parents and encouraging them to keep trusting the Lord.
- We are sending voice messages and videos to the kids so that they can continue to feel loved and important.
- Most important of all, we are praying for the families and the community.
There is a lot of work to be done, and we are praying God to give us wisdom, willingness, and love to keep doing the work that is ahead of us.
“Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus”.
– Philippians 3:13-14