Costa Rica Spanish-Intensive
Fall or Spring
Serve, Travel, StudyJoin Students International for a semester of ministry and cultural exploration in the beauty and diversity of Costa Rica. Through a combination of study, service, travel, and lively interaction with local residents, begin to uncover the richness of Costa Rican life. This program is for Spanish majors and minors who want to perfect their language skills. All coursework is in Spanish and daily interactions with host families and ministry sites are almost entirely in Spanish.
Study Abroad Spring Application Deadline – November 15th | Study Abroad Fall Application Deadline – April 1st
Meaningful Vocational Ministry
- Creative Arts Workshop
- Boys & Girls Club
- Sports – Women’s Health & Fitness
- Community & Environmental Health
- Tutoring Center
- Women’s Social Work/Microfinance
- Sports & Recreation
Christian Mentoring & Community Life
Live and learn alongside our entire SI-Costa Rica staff through classes, debriefing, Bible studies, family nights, and other community-building events. Staff live minutes away, accompany students on all program-sponsored excursions, and actively disciple and mentor students. Additional support is provided by SI staff before, during, and after your semester.
Location, Housing & Food
Most ministry sites are within a short bus ride from where students stay in carefully-selected host homes. Students usually eat daily breakfast and dinner with their host family and a lunch packed by their host mom. SI works to accommodate dietary restrictions with advance notice.
The rainy (cool) season is May-November. Daytime temperatures between August-December run in the 70°s-80°s F, with evening temperatures in the 50°s-60°s F. San José has dry periods in January, February and March, and its warmest season is March-April.
A number of excursions are included in the program, allowing students to experience various natural, cultural and historical treasures. Typical excursions include:
- Sarapiquí – discover nature and adventure in the jungle as you go zip lining and white water rafting
- Volcán Irazú / Cartago / Orosí Valle – check out a volcano, visit the most important church in Costa Rica, and explore a breathtaking valley
- Nicaragua – experience a new Latin culture, one that is home to the Nicaraguan immigrants that SI works with in its ministry sites
- Various cultural sites in and around San Jose
The fall term runs from late August to early December. The spring term runs from early January to early May. Here is a general breakdown of the semester (weekend excursions not included):
|Arrive in Costa Rica, Orientation & Team building
Intensive Spanish at language school
Intensive Spanish at language school
Cross-Cultural Experience (typically Nicaragua)
Debriefing & return home
*Program schedule, ministry sites, and excursions are subject to change.
See your study abroad advisor or contact Students International for information on cost. In most cases, your financial aid package applies.
- The University of Northwestern, St. Paul
- Crown College
- Fresno Pacific University
- Northwest University
Students from other schools may participate through an agreement with Crown College and will receive Crown course credit.
- Visit your study abroad advisor.
- See your academic advisor to discuss how this program compliments your major / minor.
- Contact Students International with any questions using the information listed below. We are happy to set up a time to talk and can even put you in touch with past participants!
Reference our Student Handbook for more information (works best in Chrome browser).